Invited to the Boardroom… Preparing and Presenting as a Strategic Partner
This event took place on February 18
Donna Zarcone – Past President and CEO of the Economic Club of Chicago who serves on the boards of Cigna Corporation, CDW and The Duchossois Group.
Virginia Addicott – Board Member, CDW and Element Fleet Management; Former President and CEO, FedEx Custom Critical. Irene Britt – Board member, Brighthouse Financial, Amica Senior Lifestyles, and Peloton Capital Management; Former Executive, Campbell Soup and Pepperidge Farm. Dee Robinson – CEO, Robinson Hill Inc.; Board Member, Accel Entertainment and Wintrust Bank Chicago
Beyond a board presentation – how to prepare for a board position:
A second topic covered by our AWESOME Transformative Leadership Panel on February 18 was how supply chain leaders can elevate their role as critical business thinkers and potential board members. Their advice included:
- keep an active network of broad business contacts, so people know you or know of you
- accept invitations to serve as a speaker or panelists on a topic you can address with expertise
- let other leaders know you’re interested in a board position
- ask yourself what kind of board would be right for you (For example, Donna Zarcone says her board requirements are based on an organization’s culture, global nature, strategic and forward-thinking orientation, record on diversity and inclusion – and involvement in something she’s passionate about.)
- read the Financial Times and/or the Wall Street Journal daily to keep informed about business issues – and constantly be asking “how could that headline impact my business and my customers?”
- read what other business leaders are reading and writing. For example, this letter to CEOs written by Larry Fink, Chairman and CEO of Blackrock.