Highlighting this and other conclusions of a Harvard Business Review article entitled “Connect, Then Lead,” a new blog on fortune.com by Mary Civiello, President of Civiello Communications Group, urges leaders to display warmth in three ways.
In “Why You Should Be More Friendly at Work,” Civiello advises leaders to
- Share stories about victories and struggles
- Forget the script to sound more authentic
This approach agrees with the insights from panelists at AWESOME events. As women are tempted to downplay their likability and strive to be recognized for their competence, these senior executives stressed the importance of a leader establishing trust among the people who work for her. They offered these recommendations:
- Connect with your people – be approachable
- Be passionate about your people – empower them
- Be your authentic self – exude your essence
- Remember you are a role model for others – demonstrate high integrity
Read more insights in The AWESOME Report, with collective wisdom from sessions powered by AWESOME at the 2014 CSCMP Global Conference.